Monday, March 19, 2018

Gardening




Another renewable resource is a garden. Of course these are seasonal. You might increase your bounty if you have any canning skills. 
   I buy only heirloom seeds. Heirloom seeds will reproduce where hybrids not so much. Hybrid seeds might produce more and better veggies, but what about when you run out of seeds ? With heirloom seeds, collect some as you go thru the growing season, and then some at the end of the year. let the seeds dry in the air, then package to protect against the elements. I vacuum pack mine and then put them in the fridge. ( I have a small dorm room fridge where I keep meds and seeds , etc ). 
   Consider what you want to grow. I myself, don't mess with radishes, lettuce , corn, ( corn takes a lot of water for a small return ), and those sort of things. I raise, squash, peas, okra, beans, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, and cucumbers. Maybe some peppers for flavors. Everyone has their preferences, I try to balance what produces well, and what I like to eat. Room, and water are considerations. Maybe you live near a good water source, etc.  I suggest starting a garden now and figure out what/where works the best for you. You might want to test your soil and see if its lacking anything. 
   Critters. We had problems with rabbits and such helping themselves to our veggies. I put up a chicken wire fence to keep them out. It worked except the deer jumped the fence. They loved the peas. In a SHTF situation , after a couple of days.... we would have veggies and venison. Win, win.
   I would put up some Sevin dust or something like that for bug control. Chickens and guineas like bugs too. 
   Of course there is raised gardens, hydroponics, indoor growing, and many variables to gardening. Start now and find what suits your situation best. 

This is where I buy my seeds. Just sayin   . http://heirloomseeds.com/
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment