Sunday, March 4, 2018

Renewable Sources



  I think it is not possible to store enough supplies for a long term SHTF. Unless you have a lot of money, even then... 
   Renewable assets are a major consideration. Starting with hunting. You should know up front that you are not the only one that will be thinking about this source. In this area, we have deer, wild hogs, turkey, and a few scattered antelope. Probably game will get thinned out early on. Also, once you pull the trigger, you have alerted anyone within a mile or so, that you have something to eat. When you do make that known, keep your eyes open. I think the local Game Warden will be trying to provide for his family, so I`m not sure how proactive he will be. Or maybe he will come  " confiscate " your kill. Personally, I would load my kill and vacate the area. Don`t over look the small game. Rabbits, squirrels, birds, and the like. 
   Trapping is another option. Knowledge and skills will enter in here and hunting too. If you opt to do some trapping, now is the time to plan and purchase the traps you deem suitable for your game/area. Become aware of the habits of game in your area. Feeding, watering, and travel habits. I am well aware that trapping quail is against the law. But, the game laws may or may not be enforceable in times like these. 
   Don`t be single minded about what you would or would not eat. For instance, I know from personal experience that rattlesnake meat is delicious. Good, very white meat. So be open minded, especially when you get really hungry. Would you eat a red-tailed hawk ? Or a roadrunner ? Or a bobcat ? 
   A few words of caution here. Look at your trap ( metal wire box trap ) closely before you run up to it. Verify what`s inside. In the case of catching a skunk. Gently lay something over the trap. A sheet or tarp. An old trapper told me one time, if he can`t see you, he`s a lot less likely to spray. After catching many skunks ( 30-40 ), I have had only one spray. I keep my trap wrapped in a dark colored material. I usually relocate the skunks way out in the country. I don`t like to shoot anything in the trap unless I have too. I have had people tell me that they dropped the trap in a horse tank and drown the skunk. Kinda cruel if you ask me.  Be ready for the ever present house cat or opossum. I`m not that hungry... yet.
   Another word of caution. Be aware of the landowners on whose land you are hunting. Do you have permission ? Is your being there going to cause a problem ? Maybe you could work a deal and split the game with him. Around here we have a lot of absentee land owners. Who knows if they will be here SHTF. Also, this is ranching country. I would advise against thinking about shooting an occasional cow. These animals are someones property.
   More to come on renewable food sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment